iMac making funny noises

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm wondering if someone here can help.

My iMac (27" i7 2011) has been making some strange noises recently. I'm worried it could be the HDD.

This noise is coming from the top left side of the machine and is starting to drive me crazy. It's like crickets have infested my computer! My profession is an audio engineer and there's absolutely no way i can carry on doing work when this constant noise is there.

Is it the HDD? Is it a noisy fan?

Please listen to the audio file attached. Note; i had to compress the mp3 into a zip format as this forum wouldn't allow me to upload an mp3..?

Cheers, -Tif

Attachments

• DodgyiMac.mp3.zip
    182.4 KB · Views: 276

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Is it the top left when sitting in front of it? If so, the two boards that are located there are the LED Driver Board and the Power Supply. The fans are located in other areas of the unit and the HD is pretty much smack in the middle. It's not clicking like a failing HD, so I think you are safe there. That particular buzzing sounds like the LED board to me.

I would take it to an Authorized Apple Service Center and have it diagnosed fully.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. They're much appreciated.

I knew deep down i'd have to take it to the 'genius bar', but i wanted to ask here as last time it took over a week to repair, as well as having a 200+ mile round trip to my nearest store. This machine is my main source of income too so being without it for a week puts me in a bad position.

I'll get in touch with them and update the thread.

Thanks again, -Tif

Ask a Question