imac g5 help

Reaction score
I just got an imac g5 that a friend was throwing out. When I start it up it gives me a flashing globe, then a flashing folder with a ? and the apple face. After a few seconds it goes to the light grey screen and instead of the apple logo it shows a circle with a line through it. I have the retail (black front) panther install disk. When I attempt to boot up from the disk by holding "c" it gets to the screen with the apple logo, the logo then shifts slightly to the right and the computer freezes. Any suggestions on how to get through to the install disk and is the reinstall even the right solution?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
did your friend tell you what was wrong with the G5? you could try booting up holding the option key with the Panther disc inserted.

Reaction score
did your friend tell you what was wrong with the G5? you could try booting up holding the option key with the Panther disc inserted.
When I start up holding the option key it shows me the osx mac disk 1. So I click the arrow to continue, it takes me back to the screen with the circle with the line through it. He said he didnt know what exactly was wrong but it didnt work and I could have it if I could fix it.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
try booting with the shift key pressed … it sounds like the hard drive might have failed ...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Only the two original iMac G5 17" & 20" models support Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther. All iMac G5s after that require Mac OS 10.4.x Tiger.

If you can give us the model or serial number from the bottom of the foot, we can dig a little deeper.

C

Ask a Question