iMac as second screen, using iMac keyboard

Reaction score
I have set up my iMac as a second screen with my MacBook , works fine. However I want to use my iMac Bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my MacBook . As I have to press CMND and f2 on the iMac to set up the screen , I can’t then remove the keyboard and mouse from the iMac without disconnecting the MacBook. Anyone know how to get round this ? Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like you are using Target Display Mode with your iMac. If so, and the keyboard/mouse are paired with the iMac, you won't be able to use them with your MacBook Air, as they can only be paired and active with one Mac at a time.

You could get a second set to use with the MacBook Air, or maybe use a wired USB keyboard with the iMac to make the switch.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds like you are using Target Display Mode with your iMac. If so, and the keyboard/mouse are paired with the iMac, you won't be able to use them with your MacBook Air, as they can only be paired and active with one Mac at a time.

You could get a second set to use with the MacBook Air, or maybe use a wired USB keyboard with the iMac to make the switch.

C
Thanks Cory, I will give that a try , nice one

Ask a Question