IMac 2006 not turning on

Reaction score
Hi folks, I accidentally changed the root PWD and now when turning the power on to the computer only a beeping sound is heard and nothing else happens. Is there anything that can be done to get it back to life?

Reaction score
Hi folks, I accidentally changed the root PWD and now when turning the power on to the computer only a beeping sound is heard and nothing else happens. Is there anything that can be done to get it back to life?
Edit: Beeping sound was from another device.
The computer does turn on after some time has lapsed being turned off.
Grey screen comes up with the apple symbol and a status bar beneath.
While trying to boot, the status bar gets to about a third, stops, starts again and when reaching a third on the second attempt shuts down.

Reaction score
Have you tried a Safe Boot?
  1. Power on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
  2. Release the key when you see the login screen.
  3. Log in to macOS

Reaction score
Hi Jonah, did manage to get into single user mode (command&s key) and saw that disk0s2 had issues.
Got repaired with fsck - ? ( can't remember which flag I ended up using ) from the manual ( man fsck ).
Thanks for your reply.

Ask a Question