iChat probleeemmm

Reaction score
I searched, but couldn't find the answer to resolve my problem.

SO! here's the problem. Everytime, with either someone with a mac, or a pc, I try to have a video chat (on iChat), it'll say something about an IP address being incorrect, and a bunch of different stuff. But then, JUST a second ago, with one girl (who was on aim), it worked, but didn't show up on her screen, just said it connected on mine? I don't know. It isn't working right now, again though. I'm thinking it'll have something to do with TCP or firewall, but I'm really not familiar with it. I'm running on tiger, and iChat is 3.1.9 (v449), which is what it says when click about iChat.

helllllppp me PLEASE

Reaction score
Are you trying to use iChat via Bonjour? It sounds as though it is trying to connect acting as a server (to a non-existent IP address)

Go to iChat preferences, and click on your name in the left hand pane.

Click on server settings, what does it say for the server?

Now click on security, what is the privacy level set to, and is encryption enabled?

Now click on Bonjour in the left hand pane of preferences. Is "use bonjour instant messaging" ticked? If so untick it and then restart your Mac and try to connect again.

What is the EXACT error message you are getting?

Reaction score
That's exactly what it says to me too, that the IP address doesn't exist or something. One sec, I just have to try all that, and then I'll write down what happens.

Reaction score
oh yeah, for server settings it says '

sever : login.oscar.aol.com
port: 5190

connect using proxy isn't checked
but system preferences is
and then it says nothing for server
but says port: 1080 protocol: SOCKS 5
nothing for username, nothing for password

Ask a Question