iChat - Latency Problem

Reaction score
Is there any way to get past a latency problem?
I purchased iSight so that I could have audio and video chats with my family. I have a Dual 1.25 GHz Power PC G4. I just upgraded to Tiger after the purchase of iSight. I keep getting the error message that there is insufficient bandwidth. After talking to both Direcway technical support and AppleCare their answer is a latency issue. Before I attempt to return the iSight - I wanted to ask if anyone knew a work around. I live in an area where my only choice of an internet provider is either dial-up or a satellite system.

I am not very technical but have access to some technical resources who can translate for me.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi and welcome !

From what you've said, I presume you are on a 56k dialup modem account. If this is the case then iChat is certainly not going to work. iChat sometimes struggles on 10x that speed connection ! It's very bandwidth dependant !

What have your family got, are they on Mac's or PC's ? What software are they using ?

There may be a way round the latency problem by using alternative software such as Skype.

Let us know and we'll look into it further !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
My father and brother both have Macs, high speed internet and are using iChat & iSights.

I have Direcway that is broadband by satellite. I tested the speed for the connection yesterday several times through the Direcway site. I got 615 kbps down and 290 kbps up. 626 down/253 up and 504 down/91up.

I just got this message when my brother and I tried to connect as a video and then as audio onlly.

2005-07-30 18:47:07 -0500: There is insufficient bandwidth to maintain the conference.
Detected 0 kbps upstream and 0 kbps downstream bandwidth; 5 kbps required.

2005-07-30 18:50:29 -0500: No data has been received for the last 10 seconds.
Audio channel info: local machine using 192.168.0.6:16384, expecting remote machine to send to 67.45.63.112:4881
Video channel info: local machine using 192.168.0.6:16384, expecting remote machine to send to 67.45.63.112:4881

I would hope there is some way to be able to do this.

Thank you for any suggestions you have to offer.

Ric

Reaction score
I would certainly have a look at Skype.

Their software normally works where others fail !

Skype should work certainly with the Audio part...

...will do some more research, on the video end !

You would presume that Direcways techies would be correct, but you never know there may be a way round it ! Does your setup have a Firewall, is it configured to allow iSight to work ? Download Skype, and set up an account (Free) and then try doing the Audio call with your family, they too will have to download Skype.

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
No Problem Sheila,

Funnilly enough I read that exact same page ealier today !

Will have a proper look tonight, once the Ankle biter is in bed.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Well it does appear that it's possible !!!

But you may have to go back to Panther...

Direcway...

Still having a look around !

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Actually, I suffered with the insufficient bandwidth problems for months after Tiger's release. The issue is actually routers/equipment between you and your father. As my ISP and others have been upgrading their hardware in the area, the problem was resolved out of the blue one night.

Apple did make some internal changes to iChat in the 10.4.2 update, but my money is on the equipment in your area.

Wait it out for a little while longer and see if it resolves itself.

You can install Panther on another drive and iChat will work fine until it is resolved totally. It's not totally an equipment issue...it's the way Tiger checks for bandwidth and the older equipment doesn't support this "check".

C

Reaction score
We finally got it fixed. As soon as our contract was up, we went to another non-satellite Internet provider and iChat works great. It is unfortunate that Direcway/Hughesnet was not upfront with what their service could and could not do. Their equipment and monthly charge was very expensive and the service did not live up to what was advertised. BEWARE!!!

Ask a Question