I chat and its useability....

Reaction score
Hi, complete mac noob here.

Im wanting to purchase skype and was wondering how or if the built in camera on a mac and the software i chat can be used along side skype?

Also can the camera be used as a regular webcam?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Joe

Reaction score
Hello boobaciousboob and Welcome to Mac-Help!

Skype is actually a free download. If you want to use Skype like a landline based telephone (like you find in houses), then you will need to purchase "skype out" and "Skype In" Minutes.

Yes, the built-in webcam will work with Skype. I am a skype user myself and I have video conferenced, using my MacBook Pro, with my cousin who lives 100 miles away.

Secondly, yes, you can run Skype and iChat together at the same time. However, you can only use the webcam with one program at a time. So if you are in a video chat using iChat, you cannot make or receive a video call from skype. I hope that makes sense.

And yes, you can use the built-in webcam as a webcam using third party software. There is a bunch of freeware and shareware programs out there to turn the built-in cam into a webcam.

I hope this helps you.

Cheerio
Searay

Ask a Question