Huge discrepancy in Documents folder size stats

Reaction score
Trying to clear space on my 2019 Macbook Pro running Ventura 13.4, so went to System Settings>Storage. According to the window that opened, my Documents folder is holding over 100GB, whereas the Info about the actual folder declares 3MB (likelier true as I store nothing there). An examination of the folder's contents confirms the lower amount (click to expand the attached screenshot for the comparison).

Why the discrepancy, and how do I trash all those gigabytes?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 11.20.40 am.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 11.20.40 am.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hi Nagy,

The documents in the system settings lists all documents on your MacBook Pro, not just the documents in your Documents folder.

I have the same computer as you do with 2TB of storage and my documents folder has about 25GB in it yet the documents in the system settings shows almost 650GB.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 11.30.34 PM.png

You can use an app like Grand Perspective(https://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net) to take a look at your drive and see what files are taking up a lot of space. Make sure that you download it from their website directly which is free.

Ask a Question