How to transfer the rest of Iphoto to photos?

Reaction score
I have Imac 2008, OSX El Capitan 10.11.3, I photo 9.6.1, photos 1.3 added by an update 10/8/15. It seems that my Iphotos were automatically transferred to photos when photos was first loaded to computer. I did not realize til this week that I should have stopped using iPhoto so all new photos would be in Photos. Frustrated with learning new system & didn't read anything about it - just kept moving things from camera to iPhoto which was more difficult to do but I was familiar with how it worked. Now I want to get all my iPhotos into photos & will use that from now on. Can't figure out how to do.

Wondering could I uninstall photos & then when I reinstalled from mac website would it automatically transfer all that I have taken since oct as well? also I see how to edit pictures in photos but I didn't see how to label captions on pictures. the photos that were moved from Iphoto in oct seem to have lost their visible captions unless in edit mode. hope you have some answers. Next time I get a new download update I'll read about it instead of complaining about a new change to learn.
thank you.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-To view titles/captions in Photos: From the menu bar click View > Metadata >Titles or press the Shift-Command-T keys simultaneously. That will put a check next to Titles, and they will appear underneath the photos.

-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data - including the Pictures folder?
-How much free space is available on your hard drive?
-How large are the iPhoto and Photos Libraries?

We'll see if we can help you out,

C

Reaction score
I did what you said to see titles but they are not appearing under individual photos just the "events" ?? I also don't see how to add captions in photos with any new pictures.
I do have a current time machine it lists picture folder but I am suspicious that it has not actually backed up photos as it is 640GB external drive with Backups 270.37GB & Photos only 1.4mb. on my hardrive on computer it says total photos is 15.2GB its 320 GB Sata Disc says I have 247.91GB free & I've used 71.3 GB total. This does not add up as it lists Apps 96.79GB, Photos 15.2GB, Audio 11.89GB, Movies 7.92 GB, Backups 1.6MB. confusing to me as these #s way more then 71.3GB.

thank you. I'll check back later have to go offline for a bit

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If you click once on a photo in Photos (not iPhoto), it will have a blue highlight rectangle around it and you should see the word Untitled underneath it in very light gray. If you click on the word Untitled, you can then type in whatever name or caption you want.

To get the actual size of the iPhoto and Photo Libraries on your iMac's HD, navigate to your Pictures folder, click once on either of those libraries to highlight it, and then press Command-I together. The Get Info window will appear and tell you what size the library is. It sounds like you are describing the size breakdown you get if you click  > About This Mac > Storage. This can be accurate, but misleading, because of the way if gathers information about each category. My current Photos Library (I have multiple libraries on multiple drives) shows as 499.4 MB when using Get Info above, but Photos shows as 3.57 GB in About This Mac.

C

Reaction score
opps I spoke to soon. what u told me to get captions to appear did work. I was looking at Iphoto album in photos instead of "photos". when I tried the command I in picture folder on Photos it said 7.71GB iPhoto said 11.92 GB. so why is my time machine only showing 1.4 MB for photos? is it something else I need to do so it will back up the photos?

I think my question was user ignorance of how the photos works as I can now see that all the photos that were in Iphoto are in photos but the ones I did after Oct when photos started are just listed in the photos with dates & not in the event groupings that I had put them in in I photo. so I guess I'll start new albums in photos & label those that didn't transfer & just use photos from now on.

If I have everything in photos & once I have them labeled could I uninstall I photo so I just have one photo app to deal with or would that cause problems of any kind.
thank you.

Ask a Question