How to stop Installing process when the Installing window doesn't want to close...?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I tried to install software, but the process stops with the 'installing' window, which doesn't want close (2 days now...) and I cannot stop or do anything about it... I pressed cmd+Q and cmd+shift + Q, I tried to eject the the program from within Finder, but nothing works and the stuck installing process refuses to go...

I'd simply like to stop the process and delete whatever has been installed already...

Thanks for your help - it is greatly appreciated!

Milos :)

Reaction score
It would be beneficial if you let us know the following:

1. The specific Mac model you have.
2. The version of the Mac OS you are running under.
3. The software you were trying to install.
4. Do you have any kind of backup?
4. Have you ever done any disk maintenance/repairs to your machine?

Reaction score
Thanks honestone and sorry for my omission!

1. I use a Mac Air / 1.3GHz / 4GB 1600MHz
2. OS X Version 10.9.5
3. tried to install Magix Video easy HD / http://www.magix.com/de/video-easy/
4. I regularly save my files to a external drive
5. never done any kind of hardware maintenance, I'm not an expert at all

Cheers
Milos

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

In addition to honestone's questions:
-Is it the trial version, or did you purchase and download a full retail version?
-How much free space is available on the hard/flash drive?

Can you see the Installer app icon on the Dock at the bottom of the screen? If so, hold the Option key down, click and hold on the icon and you should see a menu appear. Select Force Quit...you may have to do this more than once, until the Installer actually quits.

Once we get the installer to finally quit and we can restart the Mac and help you remove what it did install.

C

Reaction score
Thanks honestone and sorry for my omission!

1. I use a Mac Air / 1.3GHz / 4GB 1600MHz
2. OS X Version 10.9.5
3. tried to install Magix Video easy HD / http://www.magix.com/de/video-easy/
4. I regularly save my files to a external drive
5. never done any kind of hardware maintenance, I'm not an expert at all

Cheers
Milos

OK, that could help. In addition to Cory's excellent suggestions above, maybe some more clarification would be useful.

First, I also have a MacBook Air, 13", with a 250 gig SSD, and 4 gig of Ram. It is a mid-2013 model. When did yours come out?

Secondly, how do you save your files? Do you use Time Machine, a backup/cloning program, or do you just do it manually?

Third, regarding disk repairs/maintenance, I meant from a software perspective. Two free tools that can help with that are Apple's Disk Utility (part of the Mac OS), and the excellent and venerable freeware program Onyx. Also, just being diligent in keeping your system clean helps also. If you really want to keep your machine "mean and clean", it would be a wise investment to purchase a more robust disk maintenance/repair program, like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro. TechTool Pro actually does quite a bit more than Disk Warrior, but I've had (and also read about) repairs done which only Disk Warrior could do. (I use TechTool Pro as part of my weekly disk maintenance/repairs/backup (cloning) process, but I have Disk Warrior also).

Now, how are you posting here? That is, are you using the Mac Book Air? In your initial post, it sounded like you could not do anything at all. If you can use the machine for other purposes, maybe you could stop the installation process, and then like Cory stated, we can help you in getting rid of whatever "pieces" Magix Video installed. Hopefully, you could first start with Cory's suggestion.

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

- trial version,
- 15GB free space (might that have been the problem?)
and....

... IT WORKED!!!!

Did what you suggested, namely clicking on the app icon at the bottom while pressing ctrl - and the force quit option did the job!!!!
I'll remember that! :)

THANK YOU Cory!!!! THANKS honestone!!!! I'll restart now and try to find what has been installed...

Milos :)

Reaction score
Hi honestone,

Again: TX for the maintenance suggestions - I'll look into that! I save my files manually.
My MacBook Air is early 2014 and I was able to use it all the time...

Reaction score
Glad you were able to get your issue resolved. Once again, Cory comes through! In fact, I never knew about just holding down the Option key, and clicking on the app! I usually just go to the Finder, and under the Apple menu, select Force Quit, and then select the offending app.

As for backups, there are two schools of thought about that subject,and a number of the folks around here use either method. One, of course, is Time Machine. That is an excellent tool for scheduling such backups, but remember, it only does files/folders. The backup it makes is not bootable. The other way is to use a backup/cloning tool like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper!. Either one of those makes an exact, bootable copy of your "system". Recovery is easy from such backups, but unless you either "schedule" them to run automatically, or run them manually on a frequent basis, neither backup will contain the latest information. For myself, I use SuperDuper!, and make such a backup/clone of each of my Macs once a week, to two separate external drives. That is sufficient for my purposes, but may not be applicable to another individual.

Ask a Question