How to run off ethernet?

Reaction score
OK, I have both ethernet and wifi available to my Monterey iMac. I normally use the ethernet, of course, but I want to test my wifi, and even a Personal Hotspot (via wifi) through an iPhone. My Network shows BOTH the ethernet connected and, if turned on, the wifi (including Personal Hotspot) as well. But by default, ethernet is being used. I can tell, because with my Google Fiber, I'm getting 1 Gbps. No way would I get that speed through wifi, and especially with a Personal Hotspot. Pretty straightforward to turn off the wifi (and Personal Hotspot), but how do I turn off the ethernet and FORCE the machine to use wifi (and or Personal Hotspot)? Yes, I could just unplug the ethernet cable, but I'm thinking there must be a more elegant solution.

Reaction score
OK, I have both ethernet and wifi available to my Monterey iMac. I normally use the ethernet, of course, but I want to test my wifi, and even a Personal Hotspot (via wifi) through an iPhone. My Network shows BOTH the ethernet connected and, if turned on, the wifi (including Personal Hotspot) as well. But by default, ethernet is being used. I can tell, because with my Google Fiber, I'm getting 1 Gbps. No way would I get that speed through wifi, and especially with a Personal Hotspot. Pretty straightforward to turn off the wifi (and Personal Hotspot), but how do I turn off the ethernet and FORCE the machine to use wifi (and or Personal Hotspot)? Yes, I could just unplug the ethernet cable, but I'm thinking there must be a more elegant solution.
Never done it before myself, but try simply turning off Wi-Fi in System Preferences as long as you are also connected to ethernet. When I had my Mac Pro, because of the metal case, Wi-Fi was very slow, so I configured one of my AirPort Extremes to extend my Wi-Fi modem and connected the Mac Pro to the AirPort Extreme. Worked great! The point being… when you turn off Wi-Fi, ethernet will take over if available. In your case, it looks like your ethernet cable is long enough to connect directly to the modem, so there’s no need for an extender.

Reaction score
Not really pertinent here but FYI: wifi6 and Google fiber gives me 900+ mb on WiFi. Requires the latest routers using wifi6 and obviously for the endpoints as well. The only thing wired for me now is my NAS and PS4.

Ask a Question