How to play UDF DVD's?

Reaction score
I can not play my DVD's on my MAC. These were old home videos transferred from VHS to DVD's. The transfers were done about 6 years ago by a video store that is now out of business. When I click on the info it says they are UDF format. I've tried VLC player which I play most videos on but no luck with these disks. When I open the folder on the disk I can see the files. Most have a .vob but again VLC won't play nor can I play them in numerous other media players I've tried. I also can't copy them to my desktop. I tried downloading numerous burners also to try and rip them so they I could maybe convert to another format and still no luck. They only play in a DVD player but I don't even have one of those anymore (other that my disk reader for my MAC). Please help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for the delay in response...

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X/macOS?
-Did you try the DVD player application on the Mac?

C

Reaction score
Hi,

Just to add,
When I click on the info it says they are UDF format.
As far as I know UDF is not used for video but for data storage. So this is a little odd.

When I open the folder on the disk I can see the files. Most have a .vob but again VLC won't play nor can I play them in numerous other media players I've tried.
Have a look here for a VOB converter, actually it does a great deal more if you are into video and audio production. Will add this will not work with Catalina.

https://www.ffmpegx.com

Reaction score
I can not play my DVD's on my MAC. These were old home videos transferred from VHS to DVD's. The transfers were done about 6 years ago by a video store that is now out of business. When I click on the info it says they are UDF format. I've tried VLC player which I play most videos on but no luck with these disks. When I open the folder on the disk I can see the files. Most have a .vob but again VLC won't play nor can I play them in numerous other media players I've tried. I also can't copy them to my desktop. I tried downloading numerous burners also to try and rip them so they I could maybe convert to another format and still no luck. They only play in a DVD player but I don't even have one of those anymore (other that my disk reader for my MAC). Please help.
Hi, Did you get over this problem?? as I have just encountered the same. I am on Mac Book Pro with OS Big Sur 11.4

Reaction score
Hello, I am having the same problem. I had DVD-R's burned of old family movies. Can easily play them in my DVD player, but my expensive IMAC is unable to play them. Anyone have a solution?

Reaction score
Hello, I am having the same problem. I had DVD-R's burned of old family movies. Can easily play them in my DVD player, but my expensive IMAC is unable to play them. Anyone have a solution?
I have the identical problem. My brother suggested a programme called Wondershare, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Ask a Question