How to Delete MS Word Fonts

Reaction score
Using Monterey, M1, Mac Mini -- MS Word has an absurd number of fonts in the it's list. Is there a way to delete or remove the 90% of the fonts I'll never use?

Reaction score
Using Monterey, M1, Mac Mini -- MS Word has an absurd number of fonts in the it's list. Is there a way to delete or remove the 90% of the fonts I'll never use?
First of all I want to make it clear that I do minimal work in MS Word. I mainly use it for exchanging files with clients who send me or ask for MS Word documents.

That said, go to your Applications folder and click on the Microsoft Word.app file. Right-click on it and select “Show Package Contents.” Navigate to /Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Resources/DFonts and you will see all of the fonts available to Word from the app. Additional fonts that show up in the fonts list in your open Word document are from the fonts in Font Book.app, and whatever third-party font program you may be using.

I’m not sure how removing items from the package will affect the app itself, so make sure you have a backup before deleting items. I know that in Font Book.app, you can deactivate fonts so that they are not deleted but simply located to another folder.

Reaction score
First of all I want to make it clear that I do minimal work in MS Word. I mainly use it for exchanging files with clients who send me or ask for MS Word documents.

That said, go to your Applications folder and click on the Microsoft Word.app file. Right-click on it and select “Show Package Contents.” Navigate to /Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Resources/DFonts and you will see all of the fonts available to Word from the app. Additional fonts that show up in the fonts list in your open Word document are from the fonts in Font Book.app, and whatever third-party font program you may be using.

I’m not sure how removing items from the package will affect the app itself, so make sure you have a backup before deleting items. I know that in Font Book.app, you can deactivate fonts so that they are not deleted but simply located to another folder.
Thank you very much...I have no idea why MS feels compelled to list fonts that are ridiculously obscure.

Reaction score
In Control Panel, type Fonts in the search box at the top right. Under Fonts, click Preview, delete, or show and hide fonts. Select the font that you want to remove, and then click Delete.

Ask a Question