How to delete items in top-level folder

Reaction score
I accidentally copied a folder on to the top level of my hard drive, which usually has only four folders (Applications, Library, System, and Users). Now suddenly it has a fifth folder (see attached), and I can't delete it! I can't throw it in the trash, move it, or anything. I tried Command-I and changing the "Sharing & Permissions" which currently say "You can only read," and tried changing "admin" privileges to "Read & Write," but can't figure that out either, and get an error message saying "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission." Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• Five folders on Mac SSD.png
    Five folders on Mac SSD.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
try opening up the terminal and typing the following:
cd /
sudo rm -r "Old texts, 5-17-20"

That might work, I'm not sure how this could have happened in the first place...

Reaction score
try opening up the terminal and typing the following:
cd /
sudo rm -r "Old texts, 5-17-20"

That might work, I'm not sure how this could have happened in the first place...

Thanks so much for responding, tempuser. Much appreciated.

Turns out, I just needed to start my iMac up from my old external HD. Then I could delete that folder.

That was how it happened in the first place actually. I was running my iMac off that external HD, and wanted to copy this folder from my external HD onto my new internal SSD. I accidentally dropped the folder directly onto "Mac SSD" and the copy was allowed, because the iMac did not consider the SSD to be the System Disk at that time.

Thanks again for your response. I'm new to Mac-help.com but it's great to know there are folks like you here. Have a good day and stay safe.

Ask a Question