How do I update/populate the movies to my iPhone?

Reaction score
I have some .mp4 movies I made. The format is .mp4, so it's itunes synchable. When I go to Locations>iPhone from the sidebar and then click on movies, it lists only about 4-5 movies. WHERE do those come from? I tried "Add to library" to import more mp4s but that doesn't work. Where are the "check-offable" movies listed under the iPhone synchronization? Thanks!

I see many movies under iTunes "Music Videos", but only a few ones populate the Finder>iPhone Sync. In orhte words the films popping up in iTunes under Music videos all aren't popping up to check on under "Movies" sync to iPHone. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Things I have done to fix this problem

Reset iPhone to factory conditions.

The condition persisted so it’s a problem with laptop data.

How do I add videos to the "Movies" checklist (where you can check off movies)??? That's the clutch focus!

Reaction score
I tried creating a new user account on my mac and now no movies are popping up to be checked off in the iPhone sync options (under "Movies"). I dragged 4 .mp4s into iTunes, but they got categorized as "Music Videos" and don't pop up under the check-off-able menu. Please help, mates! How are the "Movies" .mp4s loaded onto the "Movies" category for iphone synchronization? Thanks.

Reaction score
I solved it! Truly mystified, shocked, and stupefied that NO ONE mentioned this. Fortunately I read up on it and troubleshooted like crazy. Movies are handled by Apple’s TV.app. So I had to add them to Apple TV. Simply “Add to library”. Fiddling with iTunes was irrelevant. Apple's website actually helped. Marvelous. Genuinely very stoked that I got this to work!
[SOLVED]!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

Sorry I never got back to you...glad you found the solution. I didn't realize you were running macOS Catalina. Yes, movies have to be in iTunes before Catalina, and in the Apple TV app starting with Catalina.

What happened to iTunes?

Also, you can change the media kind by doing Video Info > Options > Media Kind.

Again, glad it is resolved.

C

Ask a Question