SOLVED How do I recover files and folders deleted when I tried to remove duplicate's

Reaction score
Hi there Early this week after reading something on one of the computer sites, I think it was C Net it stated that Disk Drill was the best app for removing duplicate files etc so I downloaded this app and read some testimonials from people who said they had used the app and it did what they wanted and was great. After downloading Disk Drill I ran the program as directed but upon checking I noticed quite a few duplicates still on my Mac I ran the programme again and to my horror it has deleted all my files in Downloads, Data, Documents and I don't know if it has deleted anything else. It has deleted the same files in my back up external hard drive so I cannot go to my backup to recover all my lost files. I am at the moment running Disk Drill recover but so far it has only found 43 files out of the thousands it has checked. On the bright side it did not delete my Apple Photos or my Music but as I said it appears to have removed everything else. Any help in getting my deleted files and or folders back would be greatly appreciated. Note I am NOT really up on computers and how thing's work.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Do you happen to have a Time Machine or other backup of your data?

Sorry for your situation. I haven't used Disk Drill personally, as I manage duplicate files manually. It is my understanding that Disk Drill is recovery software and not primarily designed for duplicate file management.

We would hate to further complicate your data recovery - maybe it would be a good idea to contact Disk Drill to review the steps you have taken and see if they have any suggestions?

C

Reaction score
Hi there I thought I had posted a reply re this but appears I did not, I have fixed the problem by going back nearly 2 weeks on my time machine backup from the time I used the Disk Drill program all the other back ups from the time I used the Disk Drill had been wiped from Time Machine just like they were from my hard drive. I now have the files and folders back on my hard drive. I have totally deleted Disk Drill from my hard drive but cannot delete it from Time Machine as when I tried it stated I could not delete anything from my back up (Time Machine). Cory I thank you for your post and information and Disk Drill will never appear on my Hard Drive again I hope.

Ask a Question