How do I manage apps without iTunes?

Reaction score
Today iTunes “upgraded” itself, and apparently no longer lets me use it to manage my iPhone & iPad apps.

I always buy my apps in iTunes. That way I don’t need to cut and paste my password because access to my desktop computer is limited.

I have lots of apps which I don’t keep on my devices, and I can scroll through them and select some to load. Or I used to be able to do that. I now don’t know how to browse through apps that I have already paid for when they aren’t on my devices.

And I had my iPad set to automatically load new apps that I buy, but my iPhone only loads new apps when I tell it to. I only need to download apps once, not separately for each device.

I decided to see what happens when I went to the app store on my iMac. It appears that I can no longer order it from my Mac. I need to download it on my phone or my pad. Or go to one device, buy it and download it, then go to the other device and download it separately! I thought computers were supposed to make things simpler!

And some apps I paid for and had on my Mac are no longer available in the App store. Yesterday, I could have loaded them on my iDevices. Today I can’t.

(apparently it doesn’t have my ringtone anymore either - I’ll have to find some way to save the one I paid for in case I need to rebuild my phone from scratch).

So how do manage apps now?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
The article found at the link below has a run-down on the changes you are encountering.

Changes in the new iTunes

Apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are now exclusively available in the new App Store for iOS. And the new App Store makes it easy to get, update, and redownload apps—all without a Mac or PC.

Reaction score
It took me a while to find where previously purchased (but not loaded) apps are found on my iDevice. Unfortunately, I haven't found how to sort them by size, nor view their size.

Reaction score
I found this instruction for my ringtone, which doesn't work for me:
Redownload previously purchased tones
With iOS 11, you can redownload purchased tones that you bought using your Apple ID.

Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics, then tap on any sound. At the top of the page, tap Download All Purchased Tones to check for any previously purchased tones not currently downloaded to your device. You might not see this option if you've already redownloaded your purchased tones or if you haven't purchased any tones.
--------------------------
I don't see "Sounds & Haptics", and don't see that option within "sounds". I think my ringtone was purchased elsewhere. I'd like to save it in case I need to start from scratch again.

Ask a Question