How did I Screw Up Safari?

Reaction score
Two things, first of all I typed "Safari" in the title and in this message body. Then I discovered I am talking about Chrome. Second, and on a related note, I am an old person, so please type your replies slowly.

I am using a MacBook and just today downloaded the latest OS X update. Since then I have had trouble with Chrome. (Do not discount that I may have hit the wrong button, the update may not have caused this.)

Before, Chrome opened in a window. Other apps were visible and I could switch between applications easily by clicking on the window under the Chrome window. Also there used to be a gray toolbar showing all the open tabs and the address bar. I like this setup and do not want to change it.

Since the update, Chrome now opens with no gray toolbar. (I checked, I have selected "always show toolbar). If I move the mouse tot he top of the window, the toolbar appears just as it use to be. It is not always on view. It is as if Chrome is now in some sort of unwelcome full-screen mode.

All in all, this change makes me unhappy and I want to restore how it was before. Little help?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Better, but still not quite right. Now the gray tool bar and search/location thing are visible full-time now. But Chrome still is in full-screen mode and I am unable to resize the window to see the other stuff that is running. By the way, the yellow button on the top left is grayed out, I have a red and a green only. In the past the yellow button allowed me to see the other windows.

Let me do a restart, the apex of my technical ability.

Reaction score
So I installed the new version (which was very quick even with my slow connection) and restarted. Now it is behaving properly. Thank you for your help. Still, you have to wonder "what was up with that?"

Reaction score
Most likely, some features were introduced in OS 10.10.2 that the "older" version of Chrome had issues with.

Whenever a new OS version comes out, one should keep a close eye on updates to the applications one uses. And, it is prudent to check on updates as often as possible, that is, at any time.

Ask a Question