Hotmail fail on i-phone & i-pad

Reaction score
For a couple of weeks both my i-phone 6 and my i-pad mini 3 have been reporting that my hotmail mail account had 'lost' the sign-in password.

To quote: "The maIl server "imap-mail.outlook.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings".

Since I haven't changed anything and the hotmail account was working fine on both devices up to recently, this was a surprise. The same account continues to work normally on my 2016 MacBookPro and my 2011 i-Mac.

All devices have the current software, iOS 12.1 on i-phone & i-Pad, and on the MacBook Mojave 0.14.1 (18B75). I-Mac has High Sierra, macOS 10.13.6.

I have tried using all the possible passwords I can recall and have deleted and tried to re-instate the hotmail account on both i-phone & I-pad mini 3. No go though the said account is said to be back on the i-pad and I can that it is there. It still cannot connect with the server. Wrong password still I believe.

Keychain doesn't help either even though no alterations to my i-cloud settings have been made.

Any ideas? For example, can I recover the password using my MacBook? Or could I change the password there and put the same new one onto the i-pad & i-phone?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Hotmail is now Outlook, so you would use that choice on your iPhone/iPad. You may have to delete the account completely from those devices, and then set it up again fresh.

You can test your password, and reset it if needed here: https://outlook.live.com/owa/

FYI: If it doesn't recognize your password, and you have to reset it, be aware that it can be a bit of a pain dealing with Microsoft and Hotmail/MSN/Outlook/Live email support. ;)

How to set up mail, contacts, and calendars on iPhone and iPad

Let us know how it goes,

C

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. However, the problem isn't confined to Hotmail. It is a varying condition across my four devices. This morning, for example, my MacBook Pro couldn't get Yahoo! mail. Another day my i-pad mini 3 and/or my i-phone 6 will fail to pick up mail. This situation might last a couple of hours or many days, or as recently, appear to be terminal.
I am going to look into moving away from Hotmail. Years ago I was assured that it was an old-style service but I had too many internet connections using my hotmail address. I shall have to work through them all. What then should I keep up? Googlemail or another?

Reaction score
This post should be read along with another recent one of mine "Keychain Forgetfulness" as they seem to be close in effect & symptoms.
After several days of the above problems another came up. I noticed that my Apple 2Tb Time Capsule [2016] was showing an amber light. Various warnings came up saying no contact for www & mail. Then, both with and without resets, the green light came back. I suspected a LAN cable fault. Luckily I had a spare. To begin with all was well but then this morning even my 2016 MBPro 'lost' several passwords - for Google mail & Hotmail.
As the day has worn on all seems to have been good. Let's see what comes next.

Ask a Question