Holy Harddisk space, Batman!

Reaction score
So today I get an alert from my OS that I'm running low on hard disk space. I check my Macintosh HD, and there's a staggeringly low number staring back at me. 16 GB. 16GB??! Yesterday I had at least 116GB of my original 250. What gives?!?!

I haven't been downloading anything massive. I've just been doing a lot of video ripping and editing as of late. The only explanation I can think of is some malicious malware downloaded and unwittingly is taking over all the free disk space I had. I knew I should have been more cautious when google warned me about checking out that particular search result. I thought Macs weren't prone to internet illness.

Just when I thought my days of computer related woes were behind me now that I've forsaken windows for Mac OS X....

Could anyone help solve the mystery of the disapearing disk space? I don't know where to begin!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
What app were you using to do the video work? Perhaps there are some temp files left around from that.

C

Reaction score
As it turns out, the last mov file that was created was 99GB, even though the source was under 5 min and less than 50MB. Lord knows why.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Wow! That's a large file!

So, I guess that solves the mystery for you then?

C

Reaction score
Yikes...That's a large file!!

That is so weird how a 5 minute clip turns into 99GB file. That's when I just say "Ok then" and try again.

Ask a Question