High Sierra logs out

Reaction score
I use High Sierra. I can no longer up grade. After a re-install at the Apple Techs suggestion, Sierra keeps logging me out. How can I stop this?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of High Sierra - 10.13.6?
-When does it logout - after a period of inactivity?

C

Reaction score
Hi,

One of the basic features of HS is to log you out, its not a bug. You can set your Mac to automatically log out of your account after X minutes of inactivity. To change the setting for this go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Advanced… > Log out after X minutes of inactivity, as per my screen shots. But to get to the auto-logout feature, you have to click the Advanced button. Remember you will need to unlock the padlock to use the advanced button.

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 156
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 162

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

oldscribe's post should correct your issue.

Try it out and let us know if that resolves it.

C

Reaction score
I've tried oldscribe's tip. That box has always been unchecked for me. But I keep getting logged off. It feels random. But most of the time, it's happened while I was browsing and/or downloading from a browser. Any browser. It's happened while using Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. It's also happened a couple of times using Photoshop and Illustrator. Maybe I should've stuck with 10.11. As bad as it was, it never did what High Sierra is doing on my Mac Pro 5,1. With 64GB of Ram. I've also tried tips, like deleting preference files. I also did a Disk First Aid under recovery mode. And it tells me no issues. But still "random" log outs. I've even reinstalled the OS. Huge pain in the arse. But still same issue.

The only thing I can think of, is that it maybe the firmware update I had to do, to install High Sierra on my system. My GPU which has been running fine under 10.11, also seems to be acting wonky. Every so often, I get black bars on some window items (files/folders and their info). Closing the window, and re-opening fixes the issue. Until it happens again. Unfortunately, I can't upgrade higher than 10.13.x. I don't have a compatible Metal capable GPU. Anymore tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ask a Question