Hidden files after Big Sur downgrade

Reaction score
I had to downgrade back to Catalina from Big Sur. I formatted my HD and installed Catalina from a bootable flash drive. After installation I only had about 20 GB of free space on my HD, more than 200 GB was taken up as hidden 'other' files. I tried formatting the HD again and installing Catalina again, same problem, only now I only have 9 GB left...I have tried all the usual ways to find/delete these hidden files to no avail, including scripts in Terminal, various disk sweeping apps, etc.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you may not have erased the whole disk, just one of the APFS containers. I assume you have a backup of your data, and want to completely erase the entire drive to start fresh?

- In Disk Utility, make sure you click View > Show All Devices in the menu bar.
-In the left sidebar in the Internal section, click the topmost icon (device), which will be name with brand of drive you have, and not a container or volume name.
-Then click erase and choose your format.
-You can then proceed to reinstall macOS Catalina.

See if that works for you.

C

Ask a Question