Help!

Reaction score
Hello i am in need of serious help, i have a Macbook 4,1 and a while back, a friend bought through iTunes the Mac OS X Lion, needless to say i no longer talk to him.... now for the help part... something happened to my macbook and i have to do HD recovery and well it needs the Apple ID the program it was bought on and since i dont even know how to get in touch with him i cant do HD recovery..... any ideas on how to bypass this step?!?!? any and all suggestions are welcome!

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

something happened to my macbook
What is the issue?

You can use your original install disks to reinstall the original OS X but you will loose data unless you have been backing up. Then log into the App store with your ID and re download the Lion installer.

If you do not want to do the above only thing would be to talk to Apple, as everything is Apple ID related.

Reaction score
Im not to sure what happened but when i booted it up the screen showed the HD recovery i clicked the arrow and as it was loading a screen popped up asking for Apple ID so i entered my own and it said it was incorrect it needs the apple ID the Mac OS X Lion was purchased with...

Reaction score
Hi,

Before you do what I said in my first post try this,
Restart or start up your Mac while holding down the Option key; keep holding Option until the Startup Manager—a gray screen showing all connected, bootable volume appears. One of the volumes will be Macintosh HD, click that and tell us what happens.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Try this:

1. Power off the MacBook
2. Hold Option key and press the power button
3. Continue holding down Option key...It should boot to the following screen:

lionoptionboot.png

4. Click on Macintosh HD
5. It should startup normally

If it doesn't, or you don't get this screen, let us know and we'll go from there.

C

Reaction score
OK when i boot up my mac all i get is the Recovery HD not the other drive... and when i click it i get the screen with 4 choices
1) time machine (never set it up)
2) reinstall Mac OS X (showing Lion icon)
3) Get online help
4) disk utility (waiting for new optical drive)
I did have a thought of going ahead and purchasing the software through my own apple ID and see if that would work... So i tried it... it didnt... Super SadFace

Reaction score
Hi,

This screen with the four choices seems odd, is this a 2008-2009 Macbook? if so do you have the original Leopard disks?

Reaction score
Yes this is an Early 2008 Macbook 4,1 & yes i have the original disks for it, i just didnt want to have to reinstall all the updates to get it back to Lion

Reaction score
Hi,

It is strange that you do not see the hard drive, before you use the install disks, can you boot into safe mode by doing the following.
  1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key.
    The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during startup. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode. If you can boot into safe mode open your Applications folder - disk utility and verify disk then rapier permissions once done leave safe mode.

To leave Safe Mode, restart your computer without holding any keys during startup.
Please tell us the results.

Reaction score
OK i did it and before the apple appeared i got the gray circle with a line though it and then a folder with a question mark... and then a blank screen

Reaction score
Hi,

i got the gray circle with a line though it and then a folder with a question mark... and then a blank screen

This was what I feared, looks like your hard drive has died, and this is why when booting the Mac can not see the Lion OS X.

If you have an Apple store near you I would book a Genius Bar appointment which is free and get the techs to confirm that the drive has died.

Very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:(

Reaction score
the system sees Lion OS X however it was NOT bought on my apple ID and the person it was bought by i have no clue how to get in touch with him, if i have an apple ID that had bought Lion OS X i would be good to go

Reaction score
Sorry there is nothing we can do, you will need to purchase see an AppleCare Service Center near you.

they will sell you Lion at the cost of the Media and you can then wipe the old OS clean and start again.

Reaction score
Okay thank you all for all the help... I ordered a copy of mac os x llion so now i guess its a waitting process.... Will post again as soon as every thing fires up smoothly! Thank again!

Reaction score
Hi, Is it possible to access Yahoo websites on a macbook. I use google chrome and cannot access any website associated with Yahoo. I could not access these sites with Safari either. Please help?

Reaction score
Well all is good got the email conformation frm apple today, get all the things the email told me to do and then reentered my apple id on the HD Recovery screen and voila it worked!.... but how ever i think my iPhone got jealous... i cant seem to iMessage.....

Reaction score
:oops:
Hi,

That's very good news re Mac:)

Regarding iPhone need a little more info then maybe able to help.
1) which iPhone
2) Can you activate iMessage with your Apple ID
3) can you send ordinary messages
4) Was this after a software update
5) Are you running IOS 7

Reaction score
Morning!
Yes it was great not to have to start frm the OG disks and take it back up to Lion!
And regards to my iPhone its the iPhone4 yes i am running IOS7 and it was like right aftr i put all my personal information back in the mac, thats when i couldn't send or receive iMessages just text messages, but all is good now and a big thanks to all that have helped me on here!! Hugs frm California!! ;)

Ask a Question