Help please! My iTunes and iPhone are not working after downgrade

Reaction score
I had many problems with Lion (probably mostly because I was running it on a 2007 white macbook). Because of this, I downgraded my OS from Lion to Snow Leopard by wiping the hard drive, installing Snow Leopard, and then loading all of my files from a backup.

This created many problems. Most significantly, iTunes and iPhoto do not work, and my iPhone will not connect to my computer. (Most basic functions work well in *most* other programs, though -- Chrome, Microsoft Office, VLC, and a few more).

I have tried re-downloading iTunes and iPhoto. I have tried logging in as a different user. No success.

Ideally, I would like for all the programs to work again. At minimum, I would *really* like to be able to use iTunes, iPhone, and iPhoto, since these are important parts of my daily life.

I will list the iTunes error report below. The iPhoto error report is too long to list here.
---------------------------
Process: iTunes [279]
Path: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
Identifier: com.apple.iTunes
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: iTunes-1115011001005005~2
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [237]

Date/Time: 2014-03-30 21:58:47.073 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 495184 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 42520
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 15

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMedia.framework/Versions/A/CoreMedia
Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AVFoundationCF.framework/Versions/A/AVFoundationCF
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4163b dyld 132.1 (???) <4CDE4F04-0DD6-224E-ACE5-3C06E169A801> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBook2,1, BootROM MB21.00A5.B07, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.17f0
Graphics: Intel GMA 950, GMA 950, Built-In, spdisplays_integrated_vram
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x87), Atheros 5416: 2.1.14.6
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: TOSHIBA MK2576GSX, 232.89 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857E
USB Device: iPhone, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x1297, 0xfd100000 / 3
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8501, 0xfd400000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8205, 0x7d100000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x021b, 0x1d200000 / 2
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8240, 0x5d200000 / 2

Reaction score
iTunes and iPhoto libraries are not backward compatible, you need to upgrade to Lion move all your music and photos out and then load them back into the older version.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Kaveman! Where could I find detailed instructions on how to move out the files and load them back in? Also, forgive my ignorance, but I am unclear as to how this will solve the problem of the programs not opening.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Also, forgive my ignorance, but I am unclear as to how this will solve the problem of the programs not opening.

Exactly what do you mean by "iPhoto/iTunes do not work" ?? What version of iPhoto/iTunes?

At a guess it sounds likely that because you have reverted your OS version by downgrading, iTunes & iPhoto can't read the libraries as they were created by a newer version of the software.

Before downgrading you needed to export your libraries first as the Snow Leopard iTunes/iPhoto software would then be able to import your photos & music from scratch …

Did you run Software Update once you loaded Snow Leopard? iTunes & iPhoto should work fine as long as they are not from the backup you made from Lion.

If you haven't ran Software Update you should do so now because your iPhone problem might be related to that, otherwise if this isn't relevant, what exactly do you mean by "your iPhone won't connect to your computer"?

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version of iPhoto (iLife) did you install after Snow Leopard, since it doesn't come with Mac OS X?
-How did you load your files from your backup? Drag and drop or using the Time Machine backup via Migration Assistant?

Your log looks to me like you may have simply dragged iTunes from your backup, thus not getting all of the support files that the installer would install. Maybe the same for iPhoto.

C

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replies.

@Spawn Dooley:
-- I am talking about the newest iTunes update, and about iPhoto 7.1.5
-- I have already run the software update multiple times. This has not changed the situation -- iPhoto and iTunes do not open, and generate an error report each time that I try to open them.

@Cory Cooper:
-- I believe the iPhoto program came with my computer -- with the Tiger operating system from way back in the day. I believe it updated itself many times after that, though.
-- Yes, I dragged and dropped the files. TimeMachine had stopped working. How do I fix that?

It sounds like Kaveman's suggestion might work, yes? ("upgrade to Lion move all your music and photos out and then load them back into the older version.") I am unclear on how to do this exactly though.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
iPhoto may have come with your Mac initially, but it is not included on the Snow Leopard installer disc. That is why it wasn't there after you did the Snow Leopard install. If you simply drag and drop iTunes and iPhoto, they will not function properly, as their installers put files in the System Folder, which is the cause of the errors you are getting. If you have an iLife disc somewhere, we can use it to reinstall iPhoto. If not, you'll have a much more involved process to get it running again.

As for iTunes, you can delete the app you dragged over and download the installer from the Apple website and install.

Yes, Kaveman's suggestion will work, but before doing that, we need to get to the bottom of your original issue. Lion will work well on your 2007 MacBook, especially if you have at least 2 GB of RAM. You must have had something causing your original issue, for which you didn't need to downgrade to SL.

Since Migration Assistant usually won't restore a Lion Time Machine backup to a Snow Leopard OS drive, this is what I would suggest:

1. Wipe the hard drive and install Snow Leopard as you did recently.
2. During setup, create a user called test, not the user name you had previously.
3. Upgrade to Lion.
4. Run the Migration Assistant using your Time Machine backup, which will restore all your data and apps.
5. Logout of the test user you created in setup and login to your old user name.
6. Delete the test user you created.

Your original issues could reappear with these steps, but we can diagnose that if it happens.

We can wait for Kaveman to jump in here as well before proceeding.

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
@Spawn Dooley:
-- I am talking about the newest iTunes update, and about iPhoto 7.1.5
-- I have already run the software update multiple times. This has not changed the situation -- iPhoto and iTunes do not open, and generate an error report each time that I try to open them.

Just FYI balestra999, the current iTunes & iPhoto 7.1.5 aren't compatible with Snow Leopard which is why you are having trouble. Running Software Update once you had downgraded to Snow Leopard would have installed the appropriate version of iTunes but not iPhoto which comes on a separate iLife disc which you'd need to purchase if you don't already have it. When downgrading you can't use files taken from a recent backup of the previous OS version :)

Ask a Question