Helllllll!!!!!

Reaction score
Helllppppp!!!!!

HELLLPPP!!!!!

i'm seriously ready to cry.
i bought a lime green clamshell ibook on ebay and i loved it (notice the past tense). i had it running on os10.3 and everything was ok but i was having problems with my airport card and getting on the net and some other goofy, minor problems so i wanted to reinstall 10.3. i inserted the disk and pressed down the c key and i froze. there was no way out so i had to restart by holding down the restart button. i think it might have happened again so the final time i just launched the disk without hold down the c key and all looked fine. i double clicked on the reinstall icon it said it would restart and the when it did i got that grey screen with all of the different languages tell me to restart. well at this point i tried everything. at this point there wasn't much to save on that drive so i figured it was time to upgrade because obviously i fried that hard drive.

yesterday i installed my BRAND NEW hard drive all went well. i've taken a tangerine one apart and replace parts in the past so there was no fear in the install process. well here is the problem. i figured now is a good time as any to upgrade to os10.4 because this is a blank hard-drive. it's clean and looking for an os.
first i turned on the computer to see if all was connected ok and the screen displayed a blinking question mark.
i restarted this time with he os10.4 disk in place and with the c key pressed down. after about a minute of grinding noises the cd ejected and the question mark reappeared.
HELP ME. i really thought this was a hard drive problem.
i don't know what to now. i did that PRAM thing. i tried loading a earlier OS and all i get is the ejected disk and the blinking folder with the question mark. WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!???

p.s. nothing bad happen to my CD drive. there was no bump, accident, drop or jam.

please respond ASAP :(

Ric

Reaction score
Re: Helllppppp!!!!!

Hi there and welcome !

don't despair !

You say you tried with the 10.4 disk ?

This is a DVD, (unless you have swapped it for CD's with Apple) from memory don't you just have a CD drive ?

Are the 'jumpers' set correctly on the new drive...

Have another go with the CD (10.3) sometimes it can take a few goes to catch, try restarting and keep the 'option' key down instead of the c key, this will then give you the option of 'picking' the CD...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...something you put on when it's cold !

Sorry !

On the hard drive that you have took out...see the sticky out metal pins...well have any of them got a little bit of plastic over them joining them together ?

jumper.jpg

Your new drive would have come with a sticker on it telling you what you need (if anything to select).

If you let us know the make and model of the new drive we can check for you !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
ok that was the first laugh i've had over this whole mess

here's what i know about the hard drive:

3 Year Warranty from IBM/Hitachi
Ultra quiet
30 Day Replacement Warranty
(Contact Manufacturer after 30days for warranty issues)

Trust IBM/Hitachi Travelstar

Features (unique to IBM/Hitachi Travelstar Hard Drives)

Enhanced Adaptive Battery Life Extender 3.0 for maximized battery life
Fluid Dynamic Bearing Spindle Motor for lower acoustics and increased non-operating shock tolerance
Advanced noise reduction using a Voice Coil Motor (VCM) Damper
S.M.A.R.T. compliant detection system that gives advanced warning of possible drive inconsistencies
Stiffness-reinforced base casting construction offers enhanced stability and greater vibration/shock resistance
Antiferromagnetically-coupled (AFC) "pixie dust" media
Specular Layer giant magnetoresistive (GMR) heads
Ramp Head Load/Unload technology
Partial Response Maximum Likelihood (PRML) read channel
Adaptive Formatting

Reaction score
p.s. you just happen to have a picture of these hard drive pins handy??
i don't even know what the heck they are but you have a photo of them...

Ric

Reaction score
No worrys !

Still need the Model number there are a lot of different TravelStar Hard Drives !

The chances are that it won't need anything 'setting' but it's best to check...

Did it come with a Manual ? Does that have a model number/instructions on it ?

Regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
britneybeers said:
p.s. you just happen to have a picture of these hard drive pins handy??
i don't even know what the heck they are but you have a photo of them...

I didn't have one handy... Google Images !

I just new what to look for, saved me getting up---finding a camera-finding a drive etc...good old Google !

;-)

Ric

Reaction score
There is a possibility that it's the new drive...but that doesn't explain why the OS CD is not booting.

To test you could take out the drive, stick in the OS CD and then reboot with no drive in...you should then still see the install screen !

I would give the OS 10.3 CD a couple more go's...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
yestarday when i would start up with a disk i'd start up while holding the alt/op key down. a grey screen comes up with two buttons, one has a straight arrow the other a circular arrow. now what? last night i tried both but nothing worked

Ric

Reaction score
The two buttons...mean

Arrow Move to the next Disk with OS X on

Circular Arrow means "return" or "do it"

Unfortunately you should see a little pic with the CD or Hard disk when you do this...then you use the Arrow to 'switch between the different drives that you want to boot up from...then once selected, you press the circular arrow one !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
oh god now what???

OK new problem. i finially got os10.3 to run. it gets all the way to the screen that asks me which disk would i like to install os10.3 on but my only options are the os disk itself or a grey globe that say network under it with a white question mark on it.

it's not showing the harddrive as an option. :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Re: oh god now what???

Ok, so it doesn't like the new hard drive.

Power down and check the cables...maybe it's not seated quite right !

regards

Ric