Gutenprint - was this legitime software?

Reaction score
I tried to get old printer from Windows to work with Mac, but it lacked drivers. I downloaded Gutenprint, tested it, got it print one page, then printer got weird - the on/off button refused to be shut off and to get unresponsive printer to shut down, I had to unplug power cable.
After putting cable back, printer was fine again, but trying to print again, caused the same issue - power button burns, pushing it has no effect and only way to shut printer down was to remove the cable.

I removed Gutenprint and good riddance, I have another (though black and white) printer for Mac anyways.

But due to printer acting so weird, I am worried if it was legitimate software. I have habit of making screenshots and I have these left from that time - can someone please take a look and tell me if this looks like legitimate software.

Site I used:

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+16.56.18.png

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+16.57.22.png

Then printer said something about wrong or mistake made during installation and wanted to do changes.

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+16.58.57.png

I then downloaded uninstaller

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+17.00.33.png

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+17.02.43.png

As I installed it twice, I also removed it twice.

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+17.07.31.png

Screen+Shot+2016-10-25+at+17.07.46.png

I just want to know if this looks like legitimate software and it did not leave behind anything bad or cause damage? I hope it was just my printer not accepting what is wide known software, but it worries me. At this point, I regret at all trying to get the old printer working and downloading this software.
Malwarebytes hasn't found anything so that's some consolation.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, Gutenprint (formerly Gimp-Print) is legitimate and safe open source software. Apple originally included it as part of OS X as printer drivers, since they didn't include any from printer manufacturer's. Some older printer drivers that aren't updated by the manufacturer are still released as Gutenprint drivers in older versions of OS X.

You should be safe,

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, Gutenprint (formerly Gimp-Print) is legitimate and safe open source software. Apple originally included it as part of OS X as printer drivers, since they didn't include any from printer manufacturer's. Some older printer drivers that aren't updated by the manufacturer are still released as Gutenprint drivers in older versions of OS X.

You should be safe,

C

Thank you! So the urls and messages on snapshots looked like real legitimate software?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

Yes, that is the SourceForge download page, and the others (including the URLs) are legitimate. Since you uninstalled it, you are good to go.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

Yes, that is the SourceForge download page, and the others (including the URLs) are legitimate. Since you uninstalled it, you are good to go.

C

Thank you so much! URLs safe, sites legitimate, installing and uninstalling windows, file names and all those text windows software gave - all safe, nice and fine - basically all snapshots look safe? And my printer talking about repairing permissions, that scared me back then, is therefore just software doing its thing if Gutenprint files were safe.
Oh yes, You lifted massive boulder from me heart! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
No worries, glad you feel better.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.

C

Having someone really look at those screenshots (that became my nightmare I kept checking over and over) and tell me I did not download some malicious garbage into my new Mac is such a relief I don't have nothing else to ask for some time. :D Really, I can't tell how glad I am for the help You gave me.

Reaction score
No worries.

C

Hello!
Sorry for bothering, but I've been thinking of using Gutenprint and trying to find info.
Do I get it right that downloading and installing Gutenprint from

gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Download.php

is completely safe and will not harm my Mac?

I'm asking because I heard sourceforge has dangerous downloads, but not sure if it is true. Or are links on gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ verified to be safe, even if the download links are sourceforge.net ones?

Ask a Question