GUID Partition Table (GPT) to Master Boot Record (MBR) conversion

Reaction score
Hi,

I've used Bootcamp to partition my hard disk in order to install Windows 10. I have formatted the partition as NTFS using the Windows installer only to receive a message that Windows cannot be installed on a GPT disk! The online posts all seem to suggest that you have to re-partition the entire hard disk and that it's not possible to change a single volume's partition.

Please let me know if anyone has encountered a similar problem and more importantly, if you have managed to find a solution! Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Werner

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

Thanks for the reply. Please see the answers to your questions below:

-Which version of OS X? El Capitan version 10.11.1
-How large of a partition did you make? 100GB
-Are you installing Windows 10 onto the correct, formatted partition? Yes
-Did you follow these instructions/steps for Boot Camp: Set up a Windows partition on your Mac Yes, I followed all the steps outlined. After I formatted the partitioned disk using Windows installer I got a message stating that Windows cannot be installed on a GPT disk.

Any advice on how to resolve this issue without having to change the partition for the entire volume would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Werner

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...let me do a little more research.

You can't change the partition for the entire volume, as OS X requires GUID/GPT.

-Which exact model Mac?
-Does it support Windows 10 - Mac computers that support Windows 10
-Is Windows 10 32-bit or 64-bit version?
-Did you download a Windows ISO or are you using Microsoft Windows installation media disc?

C

Ask a Question