Grey and/or white Apple Logo frozen upon booting up

Reaction score
found my old, but new Ibook G4 in storage, I haven't used in some time. I hardly ever used it, so it wasn't abused and used everyday. When wanting to delve back into its use, it freezes either white Apple Logo or Grey Logo upon booting up. I tried the Apple/S Key and then going to the root menu, to do the 'fsck (space) -f' fix to modify the volume, but it says this when trying that attempt:

'Checking Catalog File'
Invalid record count (4,270)
**Volume Check Failed
/dev/rdisk0s3 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

then goes back to:

:/ root#

Any advice, suggestions or fixes would be ideal. I am a PC guy, and hardly know anything about Macs. Cheers in advance.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I suggest you boot from the install disc and run Disc Utility and Verify/Repair the Hard Drive, also if you can get hold of DiskWarrior, boot from it and let it repair your Directories.

There's an Apple Hardware Test you can run ... (This article comprises the iBook (Dual USB) and iBook (FireWire) Read Me for Apple Hardware Test version 1.2.)

Ask a Question