Green tint on screen - Really worried

Reaction score
Howdy, you lot.

I purchased my Macbook Pro 15" in early 2011 (it's a 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 with 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory and running OSX 10.6.8) and have had literally no problems whatsoever with it; until now.

For the past couple of days, the screen has been displaying a weird greenish tint (it varies in strength; sometimes it'll be barely noticeable and will flicker on and off, and other times it'll render most text on-screen unreadable). On some occasions, a simple restart has removed the tint, but lately it doesn't seem to make any difference, and even the blank startup screen is looking peaky.

I can only assume that this is a hardware issue, but I'd love some guidance on how I might go about removing this problem. I've attached and image here of what it looks like generally when the tint appears (apologies for the swirly, messy desktop - that's what this tint has been doing to the default Apple 'space' background). I've tried fiddling around with the colour profiles and even used ColorSync in an effort to establish the problem, but it tells me nothing's wrong.

Any help is much appreciated! Also; if a question like this one has already been posted, please kindly point me in the direction of it, I just posted this in such a frenzy, I'm starting to get really worried.

tumblr_mp2jt2DwPT1qafvoio1_500.jpg

Reaction score
If this isn't your desktop pattern you need to take it to an AppleCare service centre near you.

also ensure you have a good backup.

Ask a Question