Graphics card and Mac Pro 5.1

Reaction score
I don't have a Mac Pro 5.1 tower, but I do have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980, which I would like to use in a Mac Pro 5.1 as soon as I can find one I can afford....
I have tried to read up on this a bit and I found that it can be done, but isn't totally trivial. – One of the problems being that if such a card is put into a Mac Pro 5.1 and one tries to start up, there will be a black screen and one won't have a way to do anything, until, somehow drivers are installed...

Is it possible to install software for this card in advance, without card being present, and computer runs on another card that would allow normal startup and operations? – My thinking was that if it is possible to install software for this card (GTX 980), while running another graphics card, a shut down and switch to the GTX980, would enable machine to start up and operate "normally"...but it seems a little too good to be true....is it...?
Thanks for any info....it'd be great to be able to use this card in a Mac 5.1 tower....

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Because it isn't an Apple OEM or officially Mac-compatible card, there are a few software/hardware hacks that need to be made from what I know. Because of this, the black startup screen is a known issue, and I don't think there is any way around it. If you install the required software in advance, then install the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980, you will still have the startup issue.

Personally, I am not a fan of non-Apple cards and software workarounds, as they normally cause stability/compatibility issues, and end up not being worth the partial functionality.

Hope that helps.

C

Ask a Question