Gmail not recognized on my iMac

Reaction score
Hi I have an old Imac 8,1 (intel core 2 duo), running 10.6.8 and have been using gmail for years (same account)...I can access this account on my iphone and my laptop but suddenly the account on my imac rejects my password now consistently.....any thoughts?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-How are you accessing your Gmail account on the iMac - via the Apple Mail app, or in Safari/Chrome?
-If in the Mail app, is the Gmail account setup as POP or IMAP?
-Are the laptop and iPhone newer and running new OS versions?

It could simply be that Snow Leopard is too old to authenticate the proper way.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-How are you accessing your Gmail account on the iMac - via the Apple Mail app, or in Safari/Chrome?
-If in the Mail app, is the Gmail account setup as POP or IMAP?
-Are the laptop and iPhone newer and running new OS versions?

It could simply be that Snow Leopard is too old to authenticate the proper way.

C
I use the apple mail icon, its set up as a POP account, and yes my iphone and laptop are running newer software, just confusing why it would be so sudden..

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

Not sure either why it would just stop working for you. I do remember all kinds of issues in the past with Gmail, POP, Snow Leopard.

-I wonder if your iPhone and laptop are setup as IMAP?
-Do you have a lot of saved email on your Mac?
-Do you have a backup - Time Machine or other of the iMac?
-Did you have to force power off or experience a power outage when the iMac was on and Mail was running?

Also, you could check the ports to see if they are set correctly.

C

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply....it looks as though my laptop is using an IMAP server (my iphone 7 I cannot tell but assume the same..). I did have alot of saved mail --4-5k..?) but went thru it and parsed it down to 2100 at present. Not using any backup, don't recall any power snafu's lately. I just tried to modify the account to mirror my laptop ( anIMAP incoming and smpt outgoing)but it still rejects the password. Hmnn..
Thanks again for your response
dcs

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I would try logging into Gmail in Safari or Chrome on the iMac. See if the password is rejected there too.

C

Ask a Question