Full control of programs

Reaction score
If I can't correct a problem by going to "Get Info" and change the access permission on everything to Admin. What do I have to do in terminal to get full control or access to everything?

This is a new MacBook Pro 13" with touch running on Mojave at the moment. Just got it in Oct 2019. Old MacBook Pro 2011 quit working and they said it was to old to fix. So here I am. Hard drive in Old Mac couldn't be entered to get information off of. But I had a SSD that I backed up to and reloaded my document and so forth. But my Launchpad is now not working and opening program from within itself.
I started reading and everything tells me that permission have to be changed. But so of them will not let me open them as Admin, system or wheel. I keep getting a warning saying I don't have permission to access.
I read that I have to go into terminal and add some text to get full permission .
What I get is as follows,

This is from my Systems File

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."

Can anyone that knows more then what I can read and understand Help me.

"Oh" one more thing. I am in Niamey, Niger working which is -6 hours from US East Coast Time. So it may take some time for me to respond to any questions you may have.
No I don't live here Work only.
I live in Alaska.

Thank You

Splinter

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't suggest messing with permissions too much, as you can render the entire system unusable.

-How did you transfer your documents to the new MBP?
-Where did you copy/transfer the files to on the new MBP drive?
-Did you transfer applications as well?

C

Reaction score
Dear Mr Cooper, Thank you for responding to my plea for help.
I could not get the information off my old drive in my old Mac. But I had a 250 G SSD that I was backing up to from back in July 2019.
I just dragged and dropped it into System file I believe. and everything seemed to be working at 1st. Then I installed Webroot program
and asked it to find duplicate files and it did. a whole bunch of them. I then said to self "should I or Not" Well I deleted Duplicates and I think thats when my problems started.
Now I have it looks like 3 systems going.
As you can see I'm not a computer person, I'm a Helicopter Mechanic and they do not mixes well....LOL

Thank You Again

Splinter

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

The issue may be what you explained in your previous post. When migrating data from another Mac, dragging and dropping most files, especially applications and system files, can cause problems. The proper way is to use the Migration Assistant to migrate user accounts and application. You can also use Time Machine to restore from a Time Machine backup.

You stated you "dragged and dropped it into System file". Can you expand on that a bit further, like what files you moved?

C

Reaction score
Mr Cooper, I had Macintosh HD on screen from a backup I did in July 2019. I copied it with my mouse and pasted it into my Application file on my new computer. and it took about an hour to copy and it looked like I was all set.

It seem like everything was working good till I tried to Launch things from my launchpad and it said can't open it. so I tried a few more and got the same thing.

After reading a little on web they were saying that because I did not have permission that it would not open. So I stated looking at get info on each file and changed most of them to read and write. then tried to open and they still did not open. and when I was changing read write some come back and said I did not have authorization to do it.. that pissed me off. So I posted it for help and thats where you come in....Thank You

Splinter

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yeah, that is what is causing the permissions issue...you can't just drag and drop applications and system folders from one drive to another. Even if you did fix the permissions in the Applications folder, they will probably be missing support files that get installed in the SYstem and Library folders.

Honestly, the easiest way to resolve it would be to erase and install macOS and then use the Migration Assistant to migrate the applications and User account. Of course, you would lose anything that is currently on there and not in your July 2019 backup.

C

Reaction score
Mr Cooper, I leave Niamey, Niger on the 20th of Nov back to Alaska. There I plan on installing the new up date to Carolina.
By install the update will that take care of them problem of App's working properly??

Splinter

Ask a Question