Fragile USB-C connectors

Reaction score
I use a lot of external hard drives and I have a problem with connections being interrupted on USB-C cables between the external drive and my Mac. The male connectors are very short and often fit the female ports loosely. I've been looking for cables that advertise better connections. Does anyone have any experience with this issue that might help?

Reaction score
Need some clarification here. Is the problem with the female USB-C ports being worn or the male USB-C connector on the end of the drive cable or both? Over time with lots of use, the female ports themselves get worn and loose.

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to a MacBook that has four USB-C ports. Almost immediately I started having trouble with these connections. Any movement of the MacBook to position it for use or adjust it's position would cause it to loose connection with my several hard drives. This was very frustrating, especially since the MacBook was new and when I upgraded I had to buy all new cables because my older MacBook had different style ports. Anyway, I solved the issue by using a rubber band looping it over the connections on the right side of the MacBook, running it under the laptop and then looping it over the connections of the left side. This may not be a very eloquent solution, but it works for me. Now everything is quite solid and I never loose connection to my hard drives or dock. This may not work for you, but it works very well for me.

Ask a Question