'folding' up a table in 'Numbers'

Reaction score
Dear helpers,

How can I ‘fold’ up a table in ‘Numbers’? The table consists of many colums consisting of 3 rows (date, two numbers). A long table of three rows in fact. A graph on the basis of the data in this table accompanies it. How can I fold it. i.e. break after each, say, tenth column, without needing to ‘tell’ graph (which is of course rather compact) that it should use the new data and that there is no need for a new graph after each break?

Thank you in advance, Dirk

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which version of Numbers?

I am a little confused on what you are trying to accomplish. Can you expand on your original explanation?

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory!
Well here they are:
macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Numbers 4.1.1
To understand what I want:
Think of a table to which you add for every week a date, a number and another number That makes a table of 52 columns of 3 rows in a year. Think how to display that e.g. on an A4. I know it is not a problem for Numbers to make such a long 'thin' table , but it is difficult for me to compare e.g, column 12 with column 42.

The contents of the table are represented in a graph.

If I break off the table after e.g. each tenth column and continue going back to the left side of the page, Numbers starts a new graph and that is not what I want. I want the results to be added to the already existing graph.

I hope my problem is now more understandable to you and I thank you already for your answer! D

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

As I understand it, you want to keep all of the data, but "hide" older entries. In addition, you want all data to be represented in the chart.

If that is the case, you can simply click to highlight the first column you want to hide, then hold Shift and click the last column. When the range is selected, right-click/Control-click and choose Hide Columns. Or click the little down arrow on the right side of the column letter and chose Hide Columns.

There is also the Freeze Columns command that works in a slightly different fashion.

Will that work for you?

C

Reaction score
Thanks, Cory. I did not know about this possibility! I did not try yet. I hope 'un-hiding' is as simple as 'hiding'.

Still it is not exactly what I was talking about. I want to display the table as the lines in a letter. If you write a letter (e.g. in Pages) you can break a sentence at will and continue on the next line, without changing the message. Like that. But from your answer I distill that this is not possinle for a table in Numbers. I.e. breaking off and continuing on a next 'line' means creating a new graph. True? D

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, you would simply right-click/Control-click on any column header and chose Unhide All Columns to reverse it.

I don't believe that the column break function in Numbers will give you the same results as in Pages. Yes, it will force the text to the top of the next column, but it will break the connection to the chart.

C

Ask a Question