Fireworks !

Ric

Reaction score
Has anyone any tips for shooting Fireworks...

I have a tripod and remote release...

Just waiting for them to start...

Nice long exposures I presume ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
What camera are you using?
Does it have a bulb setting (Bulb or Timed [B orT] depending on the make/age)? This is where the camera shutter stays open whilst the shutter release is depressed. If It does, use that, with camera on a sturdy tripod and a cable/remote release, to minimise the risk of shaking the camera during a long exposure.
Use a small aperture, to maximise depth of field/focus. This will also help lengthen the exposure to give some nice painted with light type trails etc.
If no bulb setting, opt for the longest exposure/slowest shutter speed your camera is capable of.
There is probably a way to calculate the correct exposure, but my photography has always been a little more 'hit and miss' in this kind of area.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Paul,

I have the Canon 30D...

Approx 4 weeks old ;-)

See my Flickr page below ;-)

I tend to use the hit and miss approach, one of the joys of digital !

Thanks for the tips !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
OK. Nice kit. You could try setting the camera to shutter priority AE, then selecting 30 second shutter speed and letting the camera sort everything else out.
You could use aperture priority AE and select the smallest aperture (f22 probably, depending on the lens) and again the camera will sort out everything else.
It doesn't appear to have a bulb mode, but for a long exposure route 30 secs is ample. The canon metering system is excellent and should give you some results.
Fireworks, like lightning are very 'hit and miss' to photograph. Enjoy having a play.

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that Paul,

I tend to use aperture priority AE for my Macro shots. I do have bulb facility.

Just have to wait for them to start now...

regards

Ric