Finger Print Recognition Device for iMac ??

Reaction score
I would like to add a device to my iMac (running latest IOS). Rather than constantly typing in my password I'd like to have the Mac start up with my Finger print.......can anyone point me to a solution......I have searched all over the place and do not want to use my iPhone and an app.....would rather a connected device directly on the Mac. Any help / suggesttions greatfully recieved.
Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are a few fingerprint readers for Mac on Amazon, but there are some mixed reviews (and the companies making them seem to be no-name, no-support types for the most part).

I just wanted to chime in with an alternative that may be of interest. Although not quite as handy as a fingerprint, it has quite a few advantages: https://www.yubico.com/

It's basically a USB key that you can use for logging on on devices, or use to generate 2 factor auth codes for websites/apps/services that support it. I've not got one of these myself, but I've been considering getting one.

Reaction score
There are a few fingerprint readers for Mac on Amazon, but there are some mixed reviews (and the companies making them seem to be no-name, no-support types for the most part).

I just wanted to chime in with an alternative that may be of interest. Although not quite as handy as a fingerprint, it has quite a few advantages: https://www.yubico.com/

It's basically a USB key that you can use for logging on on devices, or use to generate 2 factor auth codes for websites/apps/services that support it. I've not got one of these myself, but I've been considering getting one.
Good morning Ian, Firstly, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question !! Appreciated !! Yes I agree the FP scanners I have seen don't appear to be the best quality / functionality ! I like the USB Key idea you mentioned and may look at that too...... To be honest the password is not a huge issue for me I just thought it'd be neat to play around with some alternative technology......(I am a nerd....what can I say :) Have a great day mate and thanks for your thoughts !

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You're welcome :). If you do end up getting a fingerprint scanner, please do let us know how it works out :).

Ask a Question