Findmyphone 2FA

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just fresh from a very stressing 3 hours or so.Today I accidentally dropped my iPhone 12 Pro in the streets.

It didn't take more than 3O secs to realize about that. I knew it was right there, very close but couldn't see it.

I gave a quick but careful look at the sidewalk, and at every place where it could be hiding.

I couldn't see it. I stopped a girl, explained what just happened and asked her to use her mobile: I was sure that findmyphone would help me with that and I felt safe. userid, password and.... two step verification???? is apple kidding or what? As if normally people walk around carrying their iMac or their MacBook Pro. Most of the time you have just your phone with you.

I sent a nasty feedback to apple, and the content was similar to what I explained above. I also said that they are responsible of what happened (not the phone drop, you know what I mean) and also asked who is the genius who had the brilliant idea to set up the 2sv on an emergency tool like that. And also if they live on my planet, called Heart or on some other one. I also proposed to grant the guy a salary bonus.

It took me a long time to call, having someone answering, a lady who brought my phone to her house, rather than giving it to any store in front of her. She wanted to come back since she was very close. More than 1 hour wait under the rain. She grabbed the phone probably seconds before I turned back and start checking. That would not have happened if I could access FindMyPhone.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for your situation.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Apple's very tight security is doing exactly what it was designed to do - keep your data safe in a situation like this. The Find My app does work, but doesn't have pinpoint accuracy. In addition, it only works if the iPhone is powered on and connected to cellular and/or Wi-Fi.

So, did you end up getting the iPhone back from the lady?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry for your situation.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Apple's very tight security is doing exactly what it was designed to do - keep your data safe in a situation like this. The Find My app does work, but doesn't have pinpoint accuracy. In addition, it only works if the iPhone is powered on and connected to cellular and/or Wi-Fi.

So, did you end up getting the iPhone back from the lady?

C
Yes, I did.
the story is actually quite funny. Little by little i was surrounded by a support team, i mean a few people who witnessed the drama or just picked a few words passing by. Don’t get me wrong just 2 or 3 persons standing there waiting to see the happy ending. The lady sent her husband but forgot to mention it, so while we were waiting for her to show up he was just a about 10 feet away, looking around. When I finally asked that girl to call her back we realised that he was holding my phone ringing. And it was raining.
Anyway i do believe that there must be a way to grant data security and let you track your phone when it’s lost at the same time…