Finder froze and won't let me shut down or restart

Reaction score
I transferred a bunch of photos from a memory card to the Documents folder in my MacBook Air and when it was done, the transfer window froze and will not finish. I ejected the card and tried to re-start, but it tells me "Finder can't quit because some operations are still in progress." Can anyone help me with this problem? Here's an image of what I get:
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 5.24.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 5.39.04 PM.png

Reaction score
Hi,

Put memory card back in and when the above window pops up click the X to cancel the transfer.

Reaction score
Looking at your first image it looks like you clicked the X and things were in the process of stopping when you took the MC out.

Try shutting down then rebooting.

Reaction score
I waited over two hours before I took out the MC. Now I can't reboot because of the second notice I posted, where it says that Finder can't quit.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry for my late reply try safe mode as follows turn off the Mac and leave for a few mins.
  1. Now restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
After the Apple logo appears, it might take longer than usual to reach the login screen or your desktop. This is because your Mac performs a directory check of your startup disk as part of safe mode.
If this has worked then you should see the apple icon in top left of screen put mouse on it and choose force quit then select finder.

Once done to leave safe mode, restart your computer without pressing any keys during startup.

If this has worked you may not see finder in the dock so go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

Reaction score
Thank you very much, that worked very well and my Finder is now back to normal.!!!

Ask a Question