Feedback on Alfa AWUS for Mac Pro 1.1 A1186 with 10.7 and an Asus RT-AC66R router

ace

Reaction score
Data Alliance lists 5 models;
036NHR
036AC
036ACH
036NHV
052NH
Which has worked best for a distant location ( 80 feet away in a separate building)?
Signal strength is more important for me then speed.
Which has been easiest to install?
Any problems incountered?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Helo and welcome.

I don't have any experience of that brand of wireless gear. I would think that they should be able to recommend a good solution for you, with regards to your environment and distance. There are so many variables involved in a network that includes multiple buildings, the 80' distance, etc.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

C

ace

Reaction score
I was hoping that someone in the Mac community had experience with the Alfa units. Alfa's tech help is in Tawain and almost useless. Data alliance's tech help is not as useful now as in past years; much too busy.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood. Maybe someone else here will chime in if they have experience with their products.

Just so I understand your situation, you have Internet service in one building, and want to broadcast a Wi-Fi signal of that network to another building 80 feet away...correct?

C

ace

Reaction score
The signal is already being broadcast from the first building to the second, but I need to have stronger reception. I tried for two months summer of 2014 by using different routers, range extenders, signal boosters etc. before finally finding the Alfa AWUS036H for my Dell. It worked where nothing else did. I want to upgrade to a Mac But the 036H does not have a driver for Lion, only 10.6 and older. So, I'm fairly confident an updated Alfa AWUS will work for the Mac Pro and just want to select the right or best one. The Mac Pro does have built-in Wi-fi but it won't pick up the signal, but does work closer to the router. I can't afford a new Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Understood.

-Have you considered the ASUS Wi-Fi Range extenders?
-Have you looked at the Alfa AWUS036NHR. It seems to be a longer range unit similar to the one you have, and it supports up to Mac OS X 10.8.
-Are the buildings commercial or residential?
-Do you still have a mix of PCS and Macs?

C

Ask a Question