EyeTV 4 simply does not work as I would expect!

Reaction score
I bought a new Mac mini M1 and had to buy new version of EyeTV4 (64 bit). This software does not operate and I have been told by Geniatech that the latest version is not Monterey compliant (even though it was developed for use with new Macs). Even under Big Sur it has so many problems that I will not bother to go through them.

I am beside myself in trying to fix the problems and have been in dialogue with Geniatech for many weeks now and the problems are getting worse. They fix one issue and create others. It is so bad at the moment that it is not able to be used as it crashes as an active window is closed, rather than it being open in order to record programmes.

They are constantly producing new versions of the software but none do the job. Some even say that they are incompatible with my brand new Mac! I do not understand how this can be.

I have used this product up to version 3 for many, many years and have had little or no problems, but this latest version takes the cake.

I know no-one can probably offer assistance but I think it is important that others know of my frustrations.

By the way there are countless complaints on the net in addition to mine.

I

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I used they EyeTV software for years, from the Elgato days and after Geniatech purchased it in 2016. It has been several years since I have used it however, as I don't have a use for my old Elgato EyeTV 250 Plus device any longer. I do remember the software becoming more and more buggy after Geniatech purchased it, which is part of the reason I gave up using it.

I checked their website, and EyeTV 4.0.0 (8527) does show compatibility with the following:
  • Fix general compatibility macOS Monterey 12.1
  • Operating system: macOS 10.14 or higher
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 2,5 GHz CPU or better
  • System memory: 4 GB RAM or more
However, it doesn't show M1 compatibility. Did they mention that when you spoke with their support?

C

Reaction score
No they did not mention which aspect of the Mac mini was incompatible. One would think that new software specifically designed to work on new Macs (64bit) would be compatible with new Macs!

I have had problems with almost every aspect of the software. Editor not working, crashing when closing windows, stuttering of playback windows, no compatibility with IceTV programming (which is something I have used flawlessly for years and rely on) and no plan to fix it according to IceTV (Australian market not big enough to warrant fix).

I have been working on fixing this for ages now and when one problem is addressed others appear.

I thought that generally speaking we have left behind the days with really buggy software but obviously not.

If I could find an alternative I would.

I guess I will keep annoying them to fix the problems and maybe one day it will actually work as expected.

Reaction score
I guess I will keep annoying them to fix the problems and maybe one day it will actually work as expected.
I doubt if they will. People have been complaining about EyeTV 4 since it came out. It's the reason I kept my old MBP on Mojave as I use it to record TV.

Ask a Question