External Memory

Reaction score
I use my iMac almost totally for photographic hobby with Photoshop and Lightroom. I am trying to set up my iMac so that everything that would be saved on my iMac will instead be saved on a Transcand Hard Drive plugged into USB port. I then have an Apple Airport Time Capsule connected wirelessly. I can only achieve my photos etc saved to Transcend but not to the Time Capsule.
Is it possible toj save to two External Hard Drives?
All advice will be welcome

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Whether you photos are saved to the internal drive, or external drive, they will be backed up to the Time Machine drive if you set it to backup those disks. You cannot save files directly to a Time Machine drive, as it is read-only for use with Time Machine.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
I use my iMac almost totally for photographic hobby with Photoshop and Lightroom. I am trying to set up my iMac so that everything that would be saved on my iMac will instead be saved on a Transcand Hard Drive plugged into USB port. I then have an Apple Airport Time Capsule connected wirelessly. I can only achieve my photos etc saved to Transcend but not to the Time Capsule.
Thankyou for the information. I have my Transcend plugged in by USB this is up to date with my saved files. When I go into my Airport Time Capsule it does not include same saved files. Grateful for help/advice on settings to enable saved files on Transcend and back up on Airport Time Capsule. Many thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

-Which version of OS X?
-You can look in  > System Preferences... > Time Machine > Options... and see if the Transcend is currently excluded. If so, remove it with the - minus button, and it should then backup to the Time Capsule.

C

Reaction score
No worries.

-Which version of OS X?
-You can look in  > System Preferences... > Time Machine > Options... and see if the Transcend is currently excluded. If so, remove it with the - minus button, and it should then backup to the Time Capsule.

C
I am using OS Sierra 10.12.1. I understand now that the Airport Time Capsule is for back up only. The Transcend connected by USB is saving the information which would have been saved on the MAC. I have changed back up setting as you suggest and it appears to make regular back ups. Unfortunately when I go into Time Capsule it is only up tp date if Transcend is plugged in, Apologies for my lack of understanding butI will be grateful for any further suggestions re set up to correct. Many thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
If you get the Transcend to backup to the Time Machine, and Time Machine is set to backup automatically, then the Transcend has to remain connected for it to stay current. Time Machine will function without it connected, but it will only backup the internal drive until the Transcend is connected again.

Does that make sense?

C

Reaction score
Yes Thankyou. The difficulty appears to be that it is not, so far, backing up the saved Transcend. I am testing what is on the Airport Time Capsule by unplugging Transcend and seeing what is on ATC.
Apologies if I am seeming pedantic but I feel that with your assistance I am very close to getting it correct
Again Many Thanks

Reaction score
Yes Thankyou. The difficulty appears to be that it is not, so far, backing up the saved Transcend. I am testing what is on the Airport Time Capsule by unplugging Transcend and seeing what is on ATC.
Apologies if I am seeming pedantic but I feel that with your assistance I am very close to getting it correct
Again Many Thanks
Further Posting
IF I can only get saved Transcend info.when Transcend is plugged in then I would not have a back up if Transcend became corrupted.
What I did not mention previously was that I have a new iMac which replaced my previous one which was 3 years old. I transferred everything across so I assume the settings for Airport Time Capsule stay the same and do not need re formulating.
Grateful for any comment.

Ask a Question