External HD doesn't appear in Finder but does in Disk Utility?

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what happened, but while I was trying to erase my external HD using Disk Utility I got some sort of error and now I can't seem to do anything with it. I tried using the encrypted, journaled option and after a few seconds an error flashed on the screen, which I didn't really see, and then it flashed back to the main screen for Disk Utility. Now it shows this:

in Disk Utility, with Untitled being the external HD (I'm assuming). However, when I select it my only choices are First Aid and Partition, so I can't really do anything with it. First aid says it checks out OK. "Untitled" does not show up at all in the Finder:

I'm not sure where to go from here. I really need to back up onto this dang thing because I just got a shiny new SSD that I'd really like to install, but I can't until I have a backup of the old one. I also don't know what kind of info might be needed, so I'm just going to post what I think might be useful and go from there. Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

System Software Overview:
System Version: OS X 10.8.5 (12F2518)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.6.0
Boot Mode: Safe
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2