Error 8058

Reaction score
I've just tried to upload some family photos from a CD which I created with my old PowerPC Mac, and I get the message "Error 8058" Could some kind person explain, in laymen's terms whether there is a way round this, or will I have to re-scan the pics and start again ? I currently have a new iMac desktop, running Mountain Lion OSX.8.3. Any help would be gratefully received. :confused:

Reaction score
Error 8058
seems to be a problem with the filename.

Can you open the file in Preview and use Export or Save As... to save a new copy to the Mac?

Reaction score
If I try to open the file I get the message " Application can't be found " and I get the same message if I try to use Photoshop. also, I'm unable to export or save as. In fact I can't do anything at the moment, although they're only jpeg files !

Reaction score
Hello Kaveman,
I've just tried dropping the pic into preview, and it just rejected it ! Also, If I try opening the pics in Photoshop I get the message " Unrecognized format " although the icon says it's a jpeg.

Reaction score
icon says it's a jpeg
This means very little, just that the file has a jpeg file extension.

Unrecognized format
By drag and dropping it on Preview we told it to ignore the filename and try and open it, it couldn't, same with photoshop it tried and failed.

This can mean a couple of things, the App that wrote the file did not write it as a standard jpg. The file is damaged. Do you recall what App wrote the file?

Reaction score
I scanned the pics onto the desktop on my old powerPC mac about 4 - 5 years ago, and then burnt them on to a CD-R. I'm not sure what programme it used at the time, but I think I was using OSX.6, if that's any help ?

Reaction score
Probably the software that came with the scanner, so thats not going to work now.

You don't still have access to that old computer?

We could try and make a copy of the CD and see if it copies and then try and access the file, but I don't think this is the problem.

How simple would it be to scan the original again, or are there lots of photos you need to retrieve?

Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to copy the originals again. It's not a problem, just a bit time consuming. I can't use the old scanner or computer, as they went to the re-cycling centre a long time ago ! Thanks anyway for trying to help, it's much appreciated, Kaveman. :)

Ask a Question