Erratic finder / folder behavior

Reaction score
I am having problems with weird folder behavior in my iMac running 10.9.5.

When I try to open a desktop folder by double clicking, all the folders and icons on the desktop disappear for a few seconds (the background screen image remains), then they all reappear, but the folder does not open. If I double click again, the folder then opens. Once the folder opens, the folder window often (not always) freezes and the traffic light dots do not respond, nor can I select any items in the window. If I then try to open a different folder on the desktop, things seem to reset and the first folder's window begins to respond...

I've tried trashing the finder preferences, restarting, zapping PRAM...nothing seems to work.

Any ideas??

Thank you!

Reaction score
Have you tried to Repair Permissions? You can do that either with Disk Utility, or downloading, installing, and running the excellent freeware program Onyx. You can get Onyx from here:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

Note that there are numerous versions of Onyx, each OS-dependent. In your case, you need to get Version 3.0.1.

Ask a Question