Email password not recognised

Reaction score
Hi Folks - After a recent OS update, my mail client can still download email from the ntlworld server no problem (and I guess in order to do that the logins - including password - MUST be recognised as correct) but when I try to create & send a new email I get a dialogue box saying password not recognised. (see attachment)

I KNOW the password is correct. It is currently fully functional on other devices & Windows PCs.

Anyone got an idea as to why - all of a sudden - my MAC email does not recognise the correct password?

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Dave S (UK)

Attachments

• password.png
    password.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 287
Reaction score
Need some more information:

1. What exact Mac model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS did you upgrade from?

3. What exact Mac OS did you upgrade to?

4. Did you do the upgrade "in place", ie, just have the new OS basically overwrite what was already on your Mac?

5. What EMail program are you using?

6. Did you insure that all third party (ie, non-Apple) software you have is compatible with the new OS?

7. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If so, what software are you using for that task?

8. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

For both of my Macs, I recently "upgraded" from Sierra to High Sierra. But I did a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of V10.13.2 of High Sierra. I have not had any issues (except for a minor one with Quicken 2007), and I have seen so many "bizarre" ones being reported on these forums from a number of folks that did the upgrade "in place".

Reaction score
Do you have SSL enabled in your outgoing server (SMTP) settings ?

Hmm, I did not havre it set on mine (either incoming or outgoing (my ISP is Comcast)), and Outlook 2016 works fine. I did, though, just changed both the Incoming and Outgoing setting (via the preferences in Outlook 2016) to "Use SSL to connect (recommended)". Also works.

Reaction score
Do you have SSL enabled in your outgoing server (SMTP) settings ?

By the way, note that the op stated that he started having the issue after an OS upgrade. As long as the EMail/ISP settings did not get changed, one would expect it to still work the same. That has always been the case for me.

Ask a Question