egpu slow

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to get an egpu setup running and I've already tried with the BEAST v8.4d EXP GDC but that turned out to be too slow. Soon I realized: ExpressCard is my bottle neck. So I had to come to the following setup:

• 6 x Dell U2417H Monitor (DP-input, Mini-DP-input, HDMI-input)
  • Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box
  • Gigabyte ATI HD5870 Eyefinity x6 with 6x MiniDP-output
  • 600W-PSU
  • Mac Mini end 2014

With the Akitio, I had to take out the board in order to fit the card into the slot. The Card is being recognized by El Capitan immediately, the 6 monitors are showing a picutre, I can arrange the monitors. All fine. Not. Because: The speed is not fine. Even with simple operations like moving around a window, it's slow as hell. It seems that there is no acceleration active. How can I find out which is the missing brick to the full solution? Is the Akitio Box the bottle neck and the whole thing is condemned to not work? Or do I have to check the drivers under Macos? Where can I look next?
Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

I don't have any experience with eGPU setups at all. I do know that most eGPU setups are geared more for PCs than Macs. I did a quick Internet search, and it looks like most folks have to do some mods to get them to work with OS X.

I would recommend looking at some of the eGPU forums around the Internet to get advice from folks that have eGPU setups running with their Macs...i.e. MacRumors > eGPU.

It could be a driver issue, as that is a third-party ATI card. Apple only provides drivers for their built-in video devices, and gone are the days of the user-replaceable video card in Macs like the older Mac Pro.

Sorry I couldn't help more,

C

Ask a Question