editing an invisible filename

Reaction score
I've read about 75 articles tonight and haven't found the answer. Nor do I recall this kind of difficulty in the past (probably pre osx).

A friend sent me a file with reloading data. Since most firearm calibers are preceded by a "." (period or decimal point), the file doesn't show up.

I can make the file show up, but I'm not finding a way to edit or rename the thing.

It can't be THAT hard.

Anyone have any experience at that level?

geoff

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hello Geoff, Have you tried first enabling the showing of hidden files using Terminal, then relaunching Finder & Control-clicking the file, choosing Get Info & changing the name in the Name and Extension box?

AFAIK, you can also use Terminal to rename the file extension too.

Reaction score
Hello Geoff, Have you tried Control-clicking on the file, choose Get Info, change the name in the Name and Extension box? AFAIK, you can also use Terminal to rename the file extension too.

The file is invisible. Can't do 'get info'. I've not found a way to rename via terminal that has worked. Maybe I just haven't found that yet

AH, I mouthed too quickly and didn't real fast enough.

That was WAY to simple for all the head banging I've done (G)

Thank you.

Reaction score
So, exactly what worked for you?

I had turned the files visible via Terminal. Of course they were greyed out. Add the fact that I'm using a keyboard with Win symbols on it, I was holding OPTION instead of Control.

So, Option/Right Click gave me the various options of which 'get info' was one of them. I'm getting too old to keep up, sigh.

Getting these leading "." on handloading files is common, but isn't so often as to remember the process each time.

Ask a Question