SOLVED DVD Burning problem Will not play on other Computers or Disc Players

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro 13" running Monterey V12.1 16 GB Ram
I can burn DVDs Music, Audio or Video successfully using Finder Burn . However I cannot get them to play on another Computer etc.
I am using Apple USB superdrive.

I am guessing that the Disc has not finalized and I cannot find where/how to do this.

Where Am I going wrong.
TIA
NN

Reaction score
If you are doing something like this:

then all you are doing is burning data files onto the dvd. The video files will play with something like Quicktime but not with DVD Player or in a dvd machine.

To be able to play with DVD Player on another Mac, or on a TV with a dvd machine, you will need to make a video dvd using something like Burn(free).

Reaction score
MAcbook Pro 2017
No Third Party software.
Thanks re Finder problem
Reading the articles.

Reaction score
to get a DVD disk copied to formats that a DVD play will see them as another DVD disk, you need to 'Rip' to disk.

a DVD is actually made up of both a sound File of the Movie a series of movies (like quick time files, that are the chapters in the movie, to which they will jump when you use the quick forward button) and a few other files such as subtitles, and menu commands, form when the movie starts and you see scene selections, subtitles and other options)

they all are enclosed in one file that looks like and acts like a move. when you copy that with a disk copying program, it just takes that as plane numeric data...

there is also the problem that some movies cover a bigger disk space when expanded out in play mode that they actual disk size is. sort of like they are de-compressed as they play. and that can also depend on the resolution of the TV they play to as the tv's compression software will upscale the image to fit often

so you need a DVD Ripping software to copy the conglomerate of file to your computer, and it will be placed in a folder.. you then need a DVD writing software program that then burns it to disk, in the format that the TV sees not just the computer.

the one I used under High Sierra was "Any DVD Cloner" a commercial program, but it was great. (I am now on Monterey and don't know if it is still available) also smart Converter Pro. warning they are slow, as they are constantly disk accessing the DVD and then ripping and then writing to disk. so a 1 hour mover regularly took 30-45 Minutes under High Sierra, I think that will be far short onMonterey.

having done that. you then need to "Write" that file to a DVD. and that needs a different program, though by now there may be combined programs.

I used Toast, and can highly recommend it. Not cheap but works a treat... and that can also take a long time to write the file from your compute to a DVD in a format that the TV will see... Though again that may be speeded up with newer software versions

Regards, Sandy

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 14.47.26pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 14.47.33pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 14.48.11pm.jpg

Hope that

Reaction score
I just checked on the App Store, and there are quit a new plethora of new dVD copiers and rippers that do it all in one.

just a small selection. try a free one first.

regards

Sandy
Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 15.03.37pm.jpeg

Reaction score
A DVD "Ripper" doesn't produce a playable dvd. It "rips" the video from an existing video dvd and produces a video file on your computer.

Ask a Question