Dock Guidance

Reaction score
I used to have my "Downloads" option on the dock but I discarded it by accident by mistakingly dragging it onto the screen and - POOF - it was gone. I did a search to find the file, and tried to drag the folder back to the dock but it won't allow me to... How can I get it back there so I don't have to search for all my files every time I download one?

Reaction score
Downloads and other Files and Folders must be dragged to the space beside the Trash. There is a small space and a line marking the boundary.

Reaction score
I tried that, as I stated. It wouldn't allow me to drag the folder down there. I don't think you understand fully. I used to have an icon on the dock (not a folder) named "Downloads" so that when I downloaded something off the internet, I could click on the icon, locate the file and open it. But I deleted the icon by accident by mistakingly dragging it onto the screen. So now when I download something, I have to do a search for "Downloads", locate it, then open it. How can I put that "Downloads" icon back on the dock?

Reaction score
The Icon in the Dock are just shortcuts to other Files and Folders, in this case the Downloads Folder in your Home Folder.

So when you drag that Folder back into the Dock you will have the Downloads "Icon" shortcut back.

Dock shortcuts are designed to be removed as and added as required, its no big deal. This is how it designed to work.

There is no known reason that you can't just drag the Downloads Folder back into the Dock.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I tried that, as I stated. It wouldn't allow me to drag the folder down there. I don't think you understand fully. I used to have an icon on the dock (not a folder) named "Downloads" so that when I downloaded something off the internet, I could click on the icon, locate the file and open it. But I deleted the icon by accident by mistakingly dragging it onto the screen. So now when I download something, I have to do a search for "Downloads", locate it, then open it. How can I put that "Downloads" icon back on the dock?

When you open a Finder window, is Downloads available in the left pane or sidebar?

Ask a Question