Do not know if back up is working

Reaction score
Dear Sir: I had a MacBook Pro and I use to back it up to an external hard disk through time machine. Seems it was going well. MacBook Pro broke and I have to change it for an iMac. I connected the iMac to the external drive by the time machine. It said it back up successfully.

When I open the external disk shows me the back up made by the MacBook Pro and ones done by the iMac but when I open the folders is all blank.

The question, how can I checked that is really backing up.

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Can you copy any file or folder from the backup? If yes - the backup isn't corrupted.

You also can compare copies: launch Terminal and enter this command: tmutil compare

When you do this, tmutil will run and compare the contents of the last Time Machine snapshot with the current state of of your Mac.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

In addition to Donavan49's suggestions, you can always "enter" Time Machine and look through the backups. Also, do you have FileVault enabled? And, how much space is taken up on the external Time Machine HD?

C

Ask a Question